Adding skulls to the left side has really made a big difference to the feel of the painting. Now I’m getting a very strong sense of scale, with the skulls reaching from side to side around the angel, falling away from him and around him beyond the boundaries of the canvas edges. I’m seriously considering darkening the upper sky so that there’s more balance of light and dark in the composition, making the image more dramatic. I’ll post a picture of the whole when I’ve made it to the horizon.
It was difficult to start work today, but once I got some sense of how much impact the completion of the left side will have on the piece I started feeling a lot more energetic. Should be done with this layer pretty soon. Taking care of administrative work took up a lot of time, but should pay off in the long run.