Michael Pearce is an English figurative painter who lives in Ventura County, California.
While on the surface Pearce’s paintings are romantic escapes from the hard edges of daily life, celebrating colorful flowers and beautiful people, there’s a mythic depth to them that reveals the artist feeling his way out of negative deconstruction by drawing upon archetypes and allegories from centuries-old emblem books and alchemical symbolism. Pearce digs for conceptual themes in the paintings that capture his audience by encouraging their individual imaginative interpretation of the events he has painted. There’s meaning here – a reconstruction of ideas bigger than ourselves – that makes these paintings feel greater than their already large size.
In addition to his successful career as a painter Pearce has a strong background in scenography and installation art. Although he has lived in California since 1990, his love for his previous homes in Wiltshire and Devon has never left him and has powerfully influenced his work, and he regularly visits England. In 2008 he completed a PhD at Plymouth University, submitting a dissertation on Neolithic British ritual art and architecture. He teaches at California Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, where he is responsible, with his friend Michael Lynn Adams, for organizing The Representational Art Conferences (TRAC). He is editor of the Proceedings of the Representational Art Conference, and has recently completed a book about the aesthetics of representational art in the emergent age which will see publication in February 2014.
- Web: Paintings and interview | Interview with Roger Scruton and Michael Pearce | Wikipedia | Facebook | Interview: “Rescuing Beauty”. | Article about Emblemata exhibit | Profile piece in the studio |
- The Representational Art Conference: TRAC2014 | TRAC 2014 in Fine Art Connoisseur | John Seed on TRAC2014 | Kara Ross’ article in the Epoch Times | The Real Snake. Proceedings of the Representational Art Conference 2012 | TRAC2012. | TRAC 2012 in ArtLtd | TRAC 2012 in Outdoor Painter | Interview by Brandon Kralik |
- Newspaper: The New Romantic Figure | The Man Show | Emblemata exhibit |
- Radio: Interview on KCLU public radio. | Conversation on Artist Mentors Online.|
- Academic: CLU Faculty Profile |
- Pearce writing about contemporary art: After Postmodernism | What’s on Dino Valls’ Mind? | In Praise of Damien Hirst’s “Verity” | Interview with Daniel Barkley | The Quietest Moments | Odd Nerdrum’s Crime and Refuge |
- Video: New Romantic Figure exhibit | The Man Show