Working on the painting yesterday and today turned into a real pleasure, with a major change to the composition with the addition of some leaded glass behind the Queen and a base layer for the sword and grail. The window was fun, figuring out the dark stripes of lead and popping highlights on the leading edges, then glazing the panes of glass with Iron Oxide Orange and some Naples Yellow. I used Ceramic White to cover the lower panes, lifting much of the glaze off with my finger to imitate the milky quality that old windows have. I made sure the colour of the glass was spilled onto the window boxing to give the feeling of light coming through it. I expect to add more architectural elements to the painting before I’m finished.
I didn’t do much to the sword other than to create a grey version of the values, then adding colour to it once the greys had dried.